Power Outage Preparation Checklist
The typical American household loses power once or twice a year for an average of three hours at a time. This is bad enough, but some extreme weather can cause outages that last for days or even weeks. When this happens, homeowners may suffer a long list of inconveniences, expenses, and hazards, including spoiled food, lack of hot water, and flooded basements.
Every home in Lehigh Valley is susceptible to power outages, so get prepared before the next storm hits! For more information, please call Andreas Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning at (610) 377-5261.
Power Outage Safety Plan
Here’s what we recommend doing today to keep your home and family safe during the next power outage:
- Assemble a dedicated storm survival pack: Keep items such as batteries, candles, matches, flashlights, a radio, and extra cash on hand. Load them into a backpack or bucket with a lid and store in a safe, dry place.
- Create a storm to-do list: Before a big storm hits, remember to restock your prescriptions, fill your car with gas, and top off your heating oil or propane supply if you use these fuel sources.
- Compile a list of important phone numbers: Keep the numbers for your utility providers, insurance companies, banks, doctors, radio stations, and local police department on hand.
- Protect your refrigerated and frozen food supply: As the storm looms, pack your most commonly used foods—such as milk, cold cuts, and leftovers—into a cooler with some ice. Then, turn the freezer up as high as it will go.
- Stock up on drinking water: Buy bottled water or fill clean containers with tap water in case you lose access to this supply during the storm.
- Inspect your basement: Test your sump pump and keep an eye on the basement to make sure no water is coming in.
- Look into getting a standby generator: Installing a generator is like having your own personal power plant in the backyard. When the power shuts off, a standby generator automatically starts within about 10 seconds. It can power your appliances, sump pump, security system, electronics, and more, depending on the size you install.
If you’re interested in installing a standby generator, please call Andreas at (610) 377-5261.
Why Are Generators Important?
If you don’t think you need a generator, consider these statistics:
- In June 2016, a nationwide power outage in Kenya plunged over 40 million residents into darkness. The cause? A rogue monkey got into the power plant. We might not have monkeys roaming the streets in Carbon County, but it just goes to show how vulnerable the power grid can be.
- In September 2016, Hurricane Hermine swept across Florida, wiping out power for 350,000 people. Many were without electricity for a week to 10 days.
- Also in September 2016, 1.7 million people on the island of Puerto Rico were without power during an island-wide power outage that lasted several days.
- That same month on the other side of the world, a massive outage left 1.5 million people in southern Australia without power. This time, it was due to a storm, but not in the way you might think. The power plant protected itself and shut down before it could sustain damage.
- In 2016 alone, 50 power outages across the United States were attributed to squirrels—and those are just the ones that made the news.
Please call (610) 377-5261 or contact Andreas online to learn more about installing a standby generator.
Types of Generators for Homes
It’s important to choose a generator that meets your lifestyle and needs. Here are some of your options:
- Portable generator: This can power five to 10 lights and a few appliances, such as the refrigerator, portable electronics, home security system, and the air conditioner or space heater. Small portable generators typically run on gasoline and must be refueled. They also don’t turn on automatically.
- 14kW standby generator: You get enough power for everything a portable generator can handle, plus a sump pump, furnace, and electric oven or dishwasher. Added benefits such as propane or natural gas fuel and automatic power during an outage make this a valuable upgrade for many homeowners.
- 20kW standby generator: This is the most popular size for whole-house power. It allows you to live like you normally do, even during an outage. Do laundry, bake cookies, make coffee, stay comfortable, and use TVs and computers to your heart’s content. With this option, you also avoid the need to refuel or turn on the generator manually when the power goes out.
We recommend performing a site survey to determine the energy needs of your home. To get started, give Team Andreas a call today at (610) 377-5261
Contact Andreas for Generator Installation in Carbon County
Weather patterns—and squirrels!—can be unpredictable. Lehigh Valley has its fair share of power outages, so prepare today for the inevitable. As an authorized installer of Kohler generators, Team Andreas is ready to deliver the ultimate peace of mind. Don’t wait for an inconvenient power outage to realize just how badly you need a generator—install one preemptively so you’re ready the next time a storm rolls in or a rogue squirrel causes trouble.
Call Team Andreas today at (610) 377-5261 to begin the generator installation process.